Just watching the boys lately, I have flashbacks to my own childhood. For most of elementary and junior high school, my buddies and I would head to my friend Tex's house after school. When the weather was nice, we'd be in the backyard, which was equipped with a treehouse and tire swing. Many snowball fights, G.I. Joe wars and wrestling matches took place in the backyard of the post-Victorian era house that once served as Crawford's hospital. To this day, I'm still amazed that someone didn't get hurt very badly (I'm not counting the time Steve Smith got hit in the eye with an iceball). Often times, summers were spent exploring the landscape around Crawford. Everytime I watch the movie "Stand By Me" I realize how similar a childhood I had of good friends, small town exploring and dodging the older kids that wanted to pick on us (no, there were no dead bodies like in the movie). Anyway, I digress...
I caught some video of Tristan shoving Aiden out of the Elmo chair this morning. Makes me think of the adventures that those 3 boys could one day have out in the backyard. I hope that my boys will have the same interest I had in being outside, rough-housing, exploring and getting dirty. You shouldn't have to even think twice about kids being kids outdoors, but in today's world of cellphones, texting (which is stupid by the way), computers, Bluray DVDs and high definition video games, parents practically have to shove their kids out the door. As a kid during the summer, I was out the door by 10:30, stopped in for lunch 2 hours later and was then back out the door and gone until dinner rolled around. My hope is that these boys will swear-off video games for the fun times that await them just past the back door. Only thing is, I gotta teach Brendan and Aiden how to gang up on Tristan, since he's apparently gonna be the bully of the yard! :)
~Chris



No comments:
Post a Comment