As everyone knows, our little Brendan at 7 months was diagnosed with having a stroke, probably in-utero, but the exact timing cannot be found. He has been through alot during the past 10 months, but is making wonderful gains. Through all the therapy he receives, he is now able to crawl, sit up, babble and is trying to pull himself up. His next big milestone is going to be walking, which is a main goal of his physical therapy.
I just wanted to put notice out there that today is Pediatric Stroke Awareness Day. It came about as two moms of infant stroke survivors brainstormed to think of a simple way to raise awareness as many people do not even realize infant and children could have strokes. This lead to the creation of the first Childhood Stroke Awareness Day in 2002.
Since then, families of pediatric stroke survivors worldwide have asked their local and state representatives to proclaim the first Saturday in May as "Childhood Stroke Awareness Day". Families hold walk-a-thons, awareness programs, and celebrations of their child's life on this day each year. The hope is that pediatric stroke awareness will lead to desperately needed research funding for infant and childhood stroke and to earlier diagnosis of stroke in infants and children. One example that I have found out is that stem cell therapy does have a positive impact on stroke victims, so that is something to look at a time progresses.
We know Brendan has alot of therapy ahead of him, but with all the resources and support, I know he is going to be running and talking with his brothers someday!!



2 comments:
And having such great parents, brothers and big sister, he will succeed even faster! we all love you Brendan!!
I had no idea. I know of two older boys that had Pediatric Strokes and I can't wait to see Brendan grow up as strong as they are! Show them up Brendan!!
Post a Comment